Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 9 - Batey Don Pedro


Feb. 23 - The Batey Don Pedro was our last hotel prior to going back to Havana. It's near Jagüey Grande and had individual cabins connected by a wooden walkway. The cabins were not luxurious, but were quite comfy and adequate. As Ivan and I were settling in, we made 2 (actually 3) discoveries. I looked in the medicine cabinet and was startled to see the larger of the 2 frogs inside. I have no idea how it got in there and I worried that maybe it was not well. I reached for it to move it outside and it leaped to the side of the cabinet and then to the wall. I decided it knew where it wanted to be and I left it alone! The other tiny frog was under the telephone, again startling Ivan when he went to move the phone. It was quite small and had no difficulty secreting itself in between the slats of the wall. I liked having the frogs around, but wondered about whether one might jump on me as I slept. It was a possibility Ivan thought was far-fetched until Carol told us at breakfast that the frog in her room actually did jump on her during the night! The third discovery alluded to was a third frog that was in the little closet. That frog was not about to linger in a room that had actual humans in it and it disappeared within seconds of being discovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment