Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 7 - Marathon driving

Feb. 21 - Made it!
First, I apologize for the ridiculous arrangement of the maps in the previous post. It may take a bit of detective work, if you're interested, but the first 5 maps are there so you can see how we got from the Zapata Peninsula to Camagüey. I neglected to write down the time we arrived in Camagüey, but I think it was around 3:30PM. I picked that hour because as soon as we checked in to the Hotel Plaza, Ivan, Ed, and Giff zipped out to the Internet store. Cooby, Carol, Judith and I went for a very interesting walk downtown. This city is quite large and has a lot of similarities to Havana. Buildings are large, imposing and old, with some beautiful architecture. Streets are narrow and, for the pedestrian, danger abounds in the form of wild auto drivers, speeding bicyclists, & funky bicycle taxis. After our walk I went to the Internet place where Ivan was trying to download some of his thousands of emails. I thought I might start this blog, after having failed miserably in Havana, but it was not meant to happen. I did try, but left the place in extreme frustration.
At any rate, we were there safe and sound and, after our list meeting, we had a lovely supper in the hotel's dining room and eagerly anticipated our next day's birding adventures.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment