Thursday, February 12, 2009

All packed up and ready to go!

I think Ivan and I are ready for this exciting trip.  We've done a dry-run packing and are under the 50-pound weight limit. We're carrying some donated equipment from the Birder's Exchange, a branch of the American Birding Association, to volunteers who are working in the environmental/scientific field in Cuba. Ivan's carrying a donated recording device and I have a donated spotting scope and tripod (in addition to our own new scope and tripod!).  The bags seem heavy to me, but the scale tells me we're ok. We leave before dawn has cracked in the morning - 6AM flight to Phoenix and then on to Cancún in Mexico.  Ivan's brother, Larry, is coming on this trip too, and his plane is scheduled to arrive in Cancún 30 minutes after ours does. Other birders have told us that there's some fine birding to be done at the airport there, so I guess that's how we'll whittle away the time until our 8:45PM flight to Havana. It's hard to believe our departure is tomorrow - remember, I won't be able to post every day, but I will write something every day and will post every time I have the opportunity. ¡Vamos a Cuba!

No comments:

Post a Comment